We live in a time and day where many have abandoned expectation and have stopped hoping because they believe the days are evil. Events of our time have crippled a lots of people’s hopes and expectation. People feel hopeless about the future, marriage, life, relationships, etc. they are disappointed in God, their bosses and neighbors, churches, spouses, children and themselves.
God wants us to live with biblical expectations. He wants us to operate our lives abounding in hope and expectation. There is power in expectation. It brings excitement to you. It can change your life and bring hope to you. If you have biblical expectations and hope, your latter end will be that of a beautiful future and a beautiful reward. Biblical expectation can be described as having outstretched arms anticipating something good to happen every day.
Your expectations should not be measured by what you are experiencing. You cannot change a circumstance or situation through anxiety and worry. Our hope and expectation should be placed in God rather than in people. When you put your hope in God; you will never be put to shame (Psalm 25:3 NIV), you will always trust God for help (Psalm 130:5 TLB, 1st Peter 1:3 NLT), you will live with great expectations and God’s word for your life will not fail. God’s word works (Matthew 7:6-7)
As we choose to anticipate the fulfillment of God’s promises in our lives, we must avoid the following;
1. False hopes and expectations
2. Unreasonable expectations… it puts us under pressure
3. Mismanaged and misguided expectations
4. Unrealistic expectations.
A few things we must know about expectations;
1. God wants you to come to Him with an expectation and an anticipation of a reward and an encounter (Hebrews 11:6)
2. Your life and circumstances are influenced by your expectations (Acts 3:5)
3. Expectation leads to manifestation. We have to expect healing if we want to be healed. We have to expect freedom, if we want to be freed from addictions (Mark 10:51). We have to expect to have incredible harvest when we sow seeds.
To live daily with an expectation requires persistence and perseverance. Most people live without having any expectations of God because of past experiences, wrong associations, unbelief and even the fear of disappointments. But we must rise above these; we must choose to place our faith in God and expect Him to come through for us, regardless of what we might have experienced in the past or what people May say. We should live in such a way that we analyze life’s circumstances and public opinions from the perspective of the word of God, and not the other way round.