Pride is Man’s attempt to fill a void created by the absence of God in his life; to place a Worth or Value over his own lives without reference or regard to God; to measure himself by himself with mortal and material concepts that perish naturally.
Humility on the other hand is being like God and to be like God, you will have to yield 100% to God. You will have to come to God like a child and lean 100% on God for life and living. In order to be a god, you have to pursue the Three Core Worth/Values God placed in Man to achieved True Humility in (Genesis 2:7) namely;
1. To represent Him and Him Alone on Earth…Genesis 2:15 “And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the Garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.”
2. To Rule Earth on His behalf Alone…Genesis 1:26 & 28… And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (Verse 28)… And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
3. To have a relationship with God Alone… Genesis 3:8 “And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden… (Verse 9) And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
To fulfill the above, the set the following admonitions….Jeremiah 9:23-24…Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: (24) But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he
understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
Deuteronomy …And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,
And many more but in the New Testament in Hebrews 1:1-14 the Bible confirms Psalms 2: 12… “Kiss the Son, lest He be angry and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him (Jesus)” (emphasis mine)
1. God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2. Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3. Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
4. Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
5. For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
6. And again, when he bringeth in the first begotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
7. And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
8. But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9. Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
10. And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
11. They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
12. And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.
13. But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
14. Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?
In the New Testament, Jesus is not just the guide and the help of Man to fulfilling his Worth/Value but He is the Worth/Value of everyone Human Being.
Accepting, embracing and having a working relationship with Jesus Alone is the fulfillment of your God-Set Worth/Value and that is True Humility
So the first question I asked in the beginning of the piece… “If I asked you whether you are valuable or worthy, would your reply be characterized as being proud?”
If your reply is based on your what you have achieved in life, your caliber of friends, your positions in your establishment, money, material wealth, houses, cars, academic prowess and success, your name, your pedigree, your titles in church (Pastor, Bishop, Reverend, etc), your family, your home, your church, etc, then Yes, you have Pride because all of these is worthless and of no value before God…
Philippians 3:4-10 “Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
Luke 12:15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
But if your reply is this…. “God commendeth his love toward me, in that, while I was yet sinners, Christ died for me… Romans 5:8
“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me… Philippians 4:13
“Christ hath redeemed me from the curse of the law, being made a curse for me… Galatians 3:13
“Jesus gave himself for me, that he might redeem me from all iniquity, and purify me himself a peculiar person, zealous of good works… Titus 2:14
Then you are Truly Humble.